Online grammar for non-native English writers
Ask a native English speaker to explain why they use a certain tense or preposition, and they’ll often say ‘it sounds better’. In this ESL Grammar online course, we explain the rules behind some common grammar issues.
Buy now for A$39
‘The program is very user-friendly. The rules were stated in a very understandable manner – absolutely no complex ideas to decipher.’
‘The use of prepositions is one of my weaknesses. This program taught me a lot.’
‘A very thorough course for those learning English.’
‘An easy way to brush up on tenses.’
This online course was developed by Mette Granvik and Mary Morel.
ESL Grammar is an intermediate grammar program that assumes you have a basic understanding of grammar terms and are reasonably fluent in reading and understanding English. If you need to brush up on grammar terms, you can do our Grammar Terms online course.
This course covers:
- Word classes (also known as parts of speech)
- Sentence terms
- Topic sentences
- Position of adverbs in sentences
- Active and passive voice
- Agreement issues
- Singular or plural? (e.g. information or informations?)
- Troublesome words (e.g. none)
- Collective nouns (e.g. team)
- Pronoun agreement
- Singular they
- Definite article (the)
- Indefinite article (a, an)
- Prepositions of movement
- Prepositions of place
- Prepositions of time
- Prepositions to describe trends
- Auxiliary verbs
- Present simple and continuous tenses–
- Present perfect tenses
- Past simple and continuous tenses
- Past perfect tenses
- Future tenses
- Tenses and the passive voice
This course will take you 2–4 hours and you have access for one year.
Buy now A$39
Grammar is covered in more detail in the online course, which has quizzes and activities.